A second coroner's inquest confirmed Tuesday that songstress Amy Winehouse died from accidental alcohol poisoning after she resumed drinking following a period of abstinence.
Coroner Shirley Radcliffe concluded that the 27-year-old singer "died as a result of alcohol toxicity" after she "voluntarily consumed alcohol - a deliberate act that took an unexpected turn and led to her death."
The "Rehab" and "Back to Black" singer was found dead by her body guard at her London home on July 23, 2011, with empty vodka bottles around her. The Grammy winner publicly struggled for years with alcohol and drug abuse.
Radcliffe added that a postmortem revealed Winehouse's blood alcohol level was five times that of legal driving limit, more than the level known to be fatal. The inquest took around 45 minutes at St. Pancras Coroner's Court and Winehouse's family chose not to attend.
Radcliffe was brought in for the inquest after it was found that the original coroner lacked the proper qualifications to examine Winehouse's body. The original coroner ruled the same cause of death as Radcliffe.
Winehouse was actually "a highly intelligent individual, very determined and willful" according to her doctor Christina Romete. Unfortunately, she repeatedly failed to follow her doctor's orders and when Romete urged Winehouse to seek psychological help for her drug and alcohol problems, she rejected the suggestion.
By her own efforts, she stopped using some drugs, such as heroin and crack cocaine, but had a difficult time letting go of alcohol.
"She said she started drinking again because she felt bored," said Romete, who saw Winehouse the day before she died. "I asked Amy if she was going to stop drinking that evening and she said she did not know."
Among her many recognitions, Winehouse won a Grammys in 2008 for Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album for "Back to Black," and Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance all for "Rehab."