The New York Jets have no plans to cut Tim Tebow until March and will instead look for potential trade partners, according to ESPN.
The Jets reportedly intend to keep the 25-year-old quarterback on the roster through the start of the new league year, with hopes of trading him to a new team or possibly back to the team they acquired him from-the Jacksonville Jaguars. However, with new management and new general manager David Caldwell, the later case may not be so.
"I can't imagine a scenario in which he'll be a Jacksonville Jaguar," Caldwell said at his news conference last month.
The New York Jets will be able to trade Tebow on March 12 in return for a player they traded in their fourth and sixth rounds picks to the Denver Broncos last offseason.
Tebow is coming off a season with 6-10 record in which he did not play much. He only threw eight passes during the 17-week season and in total, Tebow was utilized for only 73 offensive plays.
Meanwhile, Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired as Jets' general manager in January, told ESPNNewYork.com that bringing Tebow to the Jets was his idea in the first place.
"It's a trade that didn't work out," Tannenbaum said. "Working with Rex every day, and seeing the way the league has evolved with the ball being in the quarterback's hands and making play with your feet, we thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic. It just didn't work out that way."
If the Jets are successful in moving Tebow to a team where his skills are wanted, there may still be a possibility that he ahs a successful career in the NFL.
"I dont know what my future holds, but I know who holds my future," Tebow said in an interview with FOX.