Apr 23, 2013 12:30 PM EDT By Grace Peterson

Cinnamon Warning VIDEO: Teen Fad Challenge is Very Dangerous, Leading to Choking & Collapsed Lungs

Doctors have warned against a craze that has been sweeping across the nation - the cinnamon challenge.

Close
Meet the biggest dinosaur ever to walk the Earth
Cinnamon Challenge Gone Wrong
Photo Credit Video Screenshot

Doctors have warned against a craze that has been sweeping across the nation - the cinnamon challenge.

The prank has been described as dangerous by doctors, which left to many teens being hospitalized.

The challenge involves daring someone to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without any water. However, trying to swallow a spoonful of spice without any water can be extremely dangerous, leading up to an individual choking, having breathing trouble, and even collapsed lungs.

The prank has been depicted in videos which have gone viral on Youtube.

According to a report by Pediatrics, at least 30 teenagers across the U.S. received medical attention after taking part in the fad last year.

Over 222 calls were received from poison control centers due to the prank in 2012, an increase from just 55 in 2011.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers posted on its website: "People with asthma or other respiratory conditions are at greater risk of having this result in shortness of breath and trouble breathing."

Cinnamon, which is made from tree bark, contains cellulose fibers that are hard to break down. The report's co-author Dr. Steven E. Lipshultz said that animal research suggests that cinnamon can cause scarring if it gets into lungs.

See a video below of a cinnamon challenge gone wrong:

© 2017 ENSTARZ, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
SEE COMMENT
Real Time Analytics