By Kevin Jacobsen, EnStars | Aug 06, 2013 04:17 PM EDT
Sign Up for Enstars' Newsletter and never miss out on our most popular stories.
Dancing With the Stars is known for including controversial celebrities in their cast, but one of those stars has already declined an offer.
Television personality Geraldo Rivera, who recently tweeted a shirtless picture of himself, announced on Twitter Tuesday that he had declined an offer from the Dancing With the Stars producers to appear on the show this fall.
Like Us on Facebook
"Honored to be asked to do DWTS. It's a great show, enduring & energetic," the 70-year-old tweeted. He added that he could not participate "for lots of reasons including a bad foot."
Honored to be asked to do DWTS. It's a great show, enduring & energetic. Sorry Deena but can't for lots of reasons including a bad foot Thx
— Geraldo Rivera (@GeraldoRivera) August 6, 2013
There have not been any prominent celebrities that have expressed their interest in joining Dancing With the Stars next season, including racecar driver Tony Kanaan. Enstars previously reported that the Indianapolis 500 winner was allegedly "in talks" to appear in the upcoming season of the show.
"Obviously, Hélio did such a great job representing the drivers and the Brazilians," Kanaan told Hollywood Life in mid-July. "Me being a Brazilian, I'm going to have a tough task but I'll try. We'll see. If it's the right time, I'll definitely accept it and go try it."
Other celebrities, such as troubled chef Paula Deen and former reality star Jon Gosselin, have been rumored to be on the new season, though neither has confirmed the rumors.
As for how the new season of Dancing With the Stars will handle the combined performance and results show, ABC President Paul Lee discussed the new format at the Television Critics Association press tour recently.
"What we're doing is we're taking the votes from the judges and the votes from the audience and bringing them together at the end," Lee said. "[Executive producer] Conrad [Green] has worked through a really interesting two hours. It builds to a climax at the end."
Season 17 of Dancing With the Stars will premiere Monday, Sept. 16 on ABC. The cast will be announced Sept. 4 on Good Morning America.
Copyright © 2013 ENSTARZ.COM All rights reserved.