A fifth Indiana Jones film hasn't even been confirmed yet by Disney, but things are not necessarily looking good for Harrison Ford's return to the franchise if the film is made.
The actor, who is reprising his role as Han Solo in the J.J. Abrams directed Star Wars: Episode VII, broke his leg on the set of the film June 12, and though he plans to get back to work on the film as quickly as possible, the 71-year-old actor could find his return to Indiana Jones at risk.
Rumors have flown quite a bit that Disney was seeking a younger and more fresh-faced actor to portray the famous adventurer, with both Bradley Cooper and Robert Pattinson's names being thrown into the mix, as well as several others. Though these rumors have since all been denied, Ford's injury could potentially force Disney to reconsider casting him in the role once again.
Though replacing Ford is always a potential possibility, the actor has previously made it known that he would want to continue playing the role, and according to a Market Saw report from February, he refused to sign on to Disney's J.J. Abrams helmed Star Wars: Episode VII until the company agreed to let him reprise his role as Indiana Jones as well.
"Regarding Harrison Ford, two more Indiana Jones features are in the negotiation stages as per Ford's contract clause on Star Wars, which is the primary reason he didn't 'publicly' or 'privately' commit, or so I'm told," a source said at the time.
Ford doesn't appear ready to back away from either his Indiana Jones or Han Solo roles however, as he is insistent that he doesn't want to take a two-month rest for his leg to heal and wants to get back to the Star Wars set as soon as possible.
"Clearly he won't be able to do any physically demanding scenes and even walking will be a problem," a close source said to Express UK. "But there are certain scenes that can be worked around Harrison's injury."