The sexual misconduct accusations in Hollywood have tremendously shaken up the entertainment industry. While production companies have terminated talent, others continue to stand by them.
James Franco's Fate
Deadline learned that Golden Globe-winning actor James Franco, who is facing sexual misconduct allegations, would be back on the set of HBO's historical drama, The Deuce, to begin the production process of the show's sophomore season. According to Vanity Fair, Megan Abbot —one of the writers of the HBO series — stated that The Disaster Artist actor is expected to return to the series.
The Deuce focuses on twin brothers Vincent and Frankie Martino (portrayed by Franco) who are trying to find their way in the porn industry in 1970s New York City. Franco also serves as the executive producer of the series.
The Repercussions From Sexual Misconduct Allegations
HBO's announcement that Franco is involved with the sophomore season production could anger the six women who accused the Oscar-nominated actor of sexual misconduct.
Due to those allegations, Franco took several professional hits. Franco's alma mater, Palo Alto High School, removed all of his artwork from the campus. Palo Alto Unified School District superintendent Kristin Hendricks stated that the artwork was not meant to be permanent.
Franco was also digitally removed from an issue of Vanity Fair, which featured an all-star cast including Oprah Winfrey, Tom Hanks, Gal Gadot, Robert De Niro, and Zendaya. The magazine stated that they eliminated Franco from the cover because of the sexual misconduct allegations against him.
Franco also lost his chance at Oscar glory. When the nominations were revealed on Jan. 23, he was shut out of the race for his performance of The Room director Tommy Wiseau in The Disaster Artist. Sources told E! News that Franco was "okay" with not getting an Oscar nomination.
The Women Speak Out
Franco's sexual misconduct scandal began after he won the Golden Globes' Best Actor-Comedy or Musical. Several women came forward to state that the actor sexually harassed them.
"Hey James Franco, nice Time's Up pin at the Golden Globes, remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100 a day wasn't exploitative because I signed a contract to do it," tweeted Sarah Tither-Kaplan.
"Cute Time's Up pin James Franco. Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis and that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17-year-old?" tweeted Violet Paley.
While Paley and Tither-Kaplan raised their voices on Twitter, Vanity Fair reported that four other women came forward against Franco. He has denied all of the sexual misconduct claims.