September 18, 2014 | Updated at 03:38 PM EDT The Latest Entertainment & Celebrity News

‘Indiana Jones 5’ Rumors: Harrison Ford Potentially Replaced By Tom Selleck In New Movie Franchise? [VIDEO]

By Lauren DuBois, EnStars
on May 15, 2014 02:32 PM EDT
  • facebook
  • tweettwbox
  • pinit
  • mail
  • print
  • comment
Sign Up for Enstars' Newsletter and never miss out on our most popular stories.
  • Harrison Ford
  • (Photo : Reuters)
  • "Blue Bloods" on CBS
  • Tom Selleck as Frank Reagan in "Blue Bloods" on CBS. (Photo : screen shot)

Though Harrison Ford has repeatedly appeared to hint that he would reprise his role in the anticipated Indiana Jones 5 movie, another distinguished actor could still take the role.

Harrison Ford's Role In 'Star Wars: Episode VII' A Good Omen For 'Indiana Jones 5?'

In a new report on Business Insider, Ford was once not the favored actor to take on the role of Indy back when Raiders of the Lost Ark was filming -- because George Lucas was a co-writer for the film and had already worked with the actor in the first two Star Wars movies -- and he didn't want to have him star in yet another film he helmed.

"I said, 'Oh Steven. He's been in two of my movies. I don't want him to be my Bobby De Niro. I don't want every movie I make to star Harrison,'" Lucas said in a making-of-featurette that was released at the time.

Harrison Ford Finds 'Indiana Jones' More Interesting Than 'Star Wars?'

 Because of this, actor Tom Selleck, who currently stars on Blue Bloods, was brought in to screen-test for the role -- but was forced to give up the role for the television show Magnum P.I.

In a March appearance on David Letterman, Selleck even talked about his audition, setting the record straight on rumors he had turned the role down for other reasons.

"I didn't turn it down," he said. "I'd done the pilot for Magnum, and they offered me a screen test....they called me a week later....and they offered it to me. They held out the offer for about a month, and the more they held out the offer and talked to the network, the network said no. So I had to move on."

Though taking the role on initially didn't work out for Selleck, if Ford is for some reason unable to film the role in an upcoming sequel, Selleck could still find a place for himself in the franchise.

"Steven sent me a wonderful letter, I mean it was neat," he said. "He said, 'Tom, this should've worked out, you can work for me anytime. In fact, I owe you a part.'"

"He hasn't called. He hasn't written," Selleck added.




© 2014 Enstarz, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Featured Video : Angie Martinez Leaves Hot97 to Join Power 105.1, Chelsea Handler's New Show with Netflix, and Lupita on Vogue in New Entertainment Buzz!
  • facebook
  • tweettwbox
  • pinit
  • mail
  • print
  • comment
Sign Up for our email newsletters

Around The Web

  • Email Newsletter

Featured Videos

Latest News

Real Time Analytics