So, it seems like we have an official word on Michael Bay's involvement with Transformers 5.
The question about Bay directing the Age of Extinction sequel had been looming large until very recently. The rumors of him quitting the franchise picked up early last year when the director had hinted at another director possibly taking on the next movie in the series. While Bay hasn't commented about his coming on board yet, the chief of the writing team for the Transformers sequels has been very commitedly been using Bay's name whenever the matter of direction comes up.
In a recent interview with Deadline about the development of the sequel, head writer Akiva Goldsman said the team was hard at work to get everything ready before Bay jumps in. The report explicitly stated that while Bay was busy working on his next project, things were being set up so he can hit the ground running with Transformers 5.
In a previous interview, Wahlberg strongly hinted at the fact that Bay will be coming back to direct Transformers 5 in a recent interview with Collider.
Wahlberg was specifically asked if he had any details on the development of the film. The actor stated that he didn't know much, but inadvertently slipped that Bay is very much on board, despite all the rumors about him ditching the franchise that had been swirling about.
"I don't. Just that Akiva [Goldsman] and those guys are starting to write and break stories, and stuff like that," he said. "But [Michael] Bay is in Malta shooting Benghazi, and I'm in New Orleans shooting Deepwater. We'll get together when he gets back."
Transformers: Age of Extinction hit theaters on June 27, 2014.
Watch the trailer: