Rumors were swirling all week about what Kim Kardashian and Kanye West would name their baby girl. Early reports claimed they named their daughter, Kaidence Donda West. But it was finally revealed that the pair named their baby girl, North West, and she will be nicknamed Nori.
The power couple have followed in the footsteps of several celebrity parents, picking a one-of-a-kind moniker.
Hip-hop power couple Jay-Z and Beyonce chose an out-of-the-box name when they welcomed their daughter Blue Ivy Carter. Ivy is thought to be for the Roman numeral for four, which is significant in both of their lives: Beyonce was born on September 4, Jay-Z was born on December 4, and the two wed on April 4th, 2008! Beyonce's latest album - her fourth - was even called 4.
But picking a weird name for a child can bring on some serious backlash. When Holly Madison revealed the name of her first daughter - Rainbow Aurora - she was hit with severe criticism. On March 8, Holly took to her blog to speak out against the haters, and defend her baby's name.
"I have always loved the name Rainbow. There was a girl in my school a few years younger than me named Rainbow and I was so envious of her name because it was so pretty and unusual," Holly wrote on her blog on March 8.
"There are a lot of smug haters out there who bag on my choice of a name, but I don't care about what they think. I want my daughter to be proud of who she is and learn to speak up and stand up for herself at a young age," Holly added.
Let's take a look more of the weirdest celebrity baby names in Hollywood.
- Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz named their son Bronx Mowglii, after the Bronx Zoo in New York City and the Jungle Book character Mowglii.
- Gwenyth Platrow and her husband Chris Martin famously picked the name Apple for their first girl's moniker. The A-lister told Oprah she picked the name because it sounded "so sweet" and "wholesome."
- Geri Halliwell ( aka. "Ginger Spice" from The Spice Girls) named her daughter Bluebell Madonna. The name pays homage to both music and beautiful flowers.
- Illusionist Penn Jillette isn't fooling anyone with the unusual names for his kids: Moxie CrimeFighter and Zolten.
- Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf went for a very unusual name, Pilot Inspektor.
- Instead of choosing Clark or Kent, Nicholas Cage named his son Kal-El, which is Superman's Krypton name.
- Film maker Robert Rodriguez named his children: Rocket, Racer, Rebel and Rogue.