Melissa Gilbert Claims That 'Savages' Director Oliver Stone Sexually Harassed Her During An Audition

Little House on the Prairie star Melissa Gilbert is coming forward and speaking on her experience with sexual harassment. In addition to recounting the horrific trauma she endured, the actress has also named the man responsible for it — director Oliver Stone.

Stone, the visionary who wrote the acclaimed gangster movie Scarface and directed Wall Street, Savages, and Any Given Sunday was previously accused by former playboy model Carrie Stevens. Stevens alleges that Stone grabbed her breast while he walked past her at a party. Stevens brought these accusations to light after Stone publicly announced that he would no longer film The Weinstein Company's television series Guantanamo after Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual harassment.

Stone made the announcement after he came under fire for trying to defend Weinstein without fully knowing how many women were speaking out against him.

Gilbert stated during an interview with Andy Cohen that she too was harassed by the director during an audition for the movie The Doors. The former child star elaborated that she had "embarrassed" the director in a public setting beforehand, so to get back at Gilbert, Stone wrote a specific scene for the actress to perform in order to humiliate her.

"He had me read a scene, and then he said 'I've written this special scene for you.' The whole scene was just my character on her hands and knees, saying 'do me baby,' really dirty, horrible. It was humiliating and horrid," Gilbert states.

Gilbert said she left the audition in tears, and the role for the movie ultimately went to actress Meg Ryan.

Stone is now denying Gilbert's allegations.

"Anyone auditioning was told the scenes would be rehearsed and performed from a script, with my casting director, Risa Bramon Garcia, present throughout the process to ensure a safe environment for all actors who auditioned," Stone said in an official statement.

The Weinstein Effect

More actors and actresses are speaking out about being sexually assaulted or abused by powerful men in the industry. This follows an exposé article written in the New York Times about Harvey Weinstein back in September. Since the article was published, many high-profiled actresses came forward and named Weinstein as their attacker. Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Lupita Nyong'o, and Ashley Judd have all spoken out against Weinstein and recounted their terrifying experiences with the Hollywood mogul.

Kevin Spacey was also accused of sexually harassing Rent actor Anthony Rapp when he was a teenager back in the '80s. After Rapp, more men, some in the industry and others who wished to remain anonymous, came forward and accused Spacey of groping them or indecently exposing himself to them. Spacey has issued an apology and is now in rehabilitation undergoing treatment and evaluation.

Others who have been accused are Brett Ratner, Dustin Hoffman, Ed Westwick, and James Toback.

See Now: Famous Actors Who Turned Down Iconic Movie Roles

© 2021 ENSTARS, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
SEE COMMENT
Real Time Analytics