Nancy Guthrie Investigators Says More Than One Suspect May Be Involved in Kidnapping Case

Investigators in Arizona say they are no longer certain that a single kidnapper acted alone in the abduction of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, and they are now openly considering the possibility that more than one suspect was involved in the late-night crime.
The new focus on possible accomplices comes as federal and local authorities enter their third week of searching for Guthrie, who vanished from her Tucson-area home in the early hours of February 1 after returning from dinner with family the night before.
Officials believe she was forcibly taken from inside the house, where bloodstains later confirmed to be hers were found near the entrance along with signs of disturbance and a removed doorbell camera, according to People.
The Pima County Sheriff's Department has said repeatedly that Guthrie did not leave voluntarily and that her family members are considered victims, not suspects. Investigators say they continue to interview relatives, friends, and neighbors to build a clearer timeline of her final known movements.
Attention is now centered on a masked, armed man captured on surveillance video outside Guthrie's front door around the time investigators believe she disappeared. The FBI has described the person as a man of average build, about 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, carrying a black 25-liter Ozark Trail Hiker Pack backpack.
While investigators are working to identify that individual, a sheriff's department spokesperson said they are not ruling out that he was the only person involved. This has raised the possibility that an accomplice may have helped plan or carry out the kidnapping, either by scouting the area or assisting with transportation.
Detectives and FBI agents are reviewing DNA and other biological evidence found in and around the home, as well as video from nearby homes, traffic cameras, and other systems. Their goal is to track any additional people or vehicles that may be linked to the crime, NPR reported.
Authorities are also comparing names and photos of multiple possible suspects to the masked figure seen on video. At the same time, they are continuing digital forensics on ransom messages demanding cryptocurrency that were sent to a local media outlet and then turned over to law enforcement.
No arrests have been made, and officials stress that naming possible persons of interest does not mean those individuals are accused of a crime. They say every lead is being checked, but many tips so far have not produced solid evidence.
A reward of more than $200,000 has been offered for credible information that directly helps find Guthrie or identifies those responsible. Investigators are urging the public to avoid speculation fueled by online commentary and instead report any concrete tips that could help bring her home safely, as per the Los Angeles Times.
Originally published on Lawyer Herald